As the budget process in Ohio moves forward we want to share some areas where the grassroots groups in Ohio can try to make an impact. Below is a detailed outline on how your group & members can get involved in the process & immediately make an impact.
While many are concentrating on Governor Kasich's proposed budget, we must understand this is only a spending wish list of what Kasich wants from the Ohio Legislature. We have a choice of stomping our feet over Kasich's requests or we can inject ourselves in the actual budget process as it moves forward.
The Ohio House is in the process of conducting budget hearings on HB 64 (Main Operating Budget FY2016 - FY2017) and will put forth a budget of their own. This is an area where we can inject ourselves and have an immediate impact. As part of this process, Sub Committee's of the OH House Finance Committee are conducting hearings on the requested budgets for the State Boards & Commissions in our state.
There are over 500 State Boards & Commission!
The Main Operating Budget FY2016 - FY2017 is HB 64 (https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA131-HB-64)
Your researching the funding and playing an active role in the Boards & Commissions funding process will be welcomed and great help to many of the elected conservative's serving in Columbus.
Attached in this email are two (2) links to get started and a sign up sheet (http://goo.gl/forms/tHxvn4S0Kv)
The first link is for all the State Board & Commissions in Ohio. In the document, it will list the purpose of the Board/Commission, how many members and how they are funded. Not all receive funding. (Be aware - the number of boards & commissions we have is staggering!)
The second link is the proposed Executive Budget (Kasich's Wish List)
Sign up sheet (http://goo.gl/forms/tHxvn4S0Kv)
In Section D of Kasich "Wish List" you will find a list of State Departments, Boards & Commissions with a corresponding page that will list previous funding & proposed funding.
Below is an example for the Ohio Arts Council (Pg. D-50)....
Funding Recommendation for 2016 and 2017• GRF: Funding for fiscal year 2016 is $12.0 million (or a 5.5% increase from fiscal year 2015). Funding for fiscal year 2017 is $12.5 million (or a 4.2% increase from fiscal year 2016).• All Funds: Funding for fiscal year 2016 is $13.5 million (or a 8.2% increase from fiscal year 2015). Funding for fiscal year 2017 is $14.0 million (or a 3.7% increase from fiscal year 2016).
On the same page below the Funding Recommendation there will be a list of how the Board/Commission spends their budgeted funds.
- Sign up to review a Board / Commission at this link - http://goo.gl/forms/tHxvn4S0Kv
- Pick & identify a Board/Commission you would like to concentrate on from link #1 (Board & Commission PDF). Let us know which Board/Commission you select so we do not duplicate efforts. http://www.lsc.ohio.gov/boards/boards&commissions.pdf
- Research & identify the previous & proposed funding for the selected Board/Commission from link #2 (Kasich's Wish List). http://blueprint.ohio.gov/doc/budget/State_of_Ohio_Budget_Recommendations_FY-16-17.pdf
- Review how the budgeted funds are being spent - identify wasteful spending. Also do Google searches on the specific Board/Commission to find articles regarding how they operate and other areas where the budgeted funds for that Board/Commission are being spent. Ask - is this spending that should be done by the state?
- Identify which Sub Committee of the Finance Committee that will be hearing budget testimony on your selected Board/Commission under HB 64 (Budget) by contacting the Finance Committee Chairs Rep. Ryan Smith's office (614)466-1366. http://www.ohiohouse.gov/ryan-smith / http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/finance
- Contact the Chair of the Sub Committee and request that you be added to the email list for all scheduled hearings for that Sub Committee.
- Identify the date your Board/Commission will be giving budget testimony for their funding. Obtain & review the Board/Commission funding request.
- Identify the dates of "Interested Party" hearings. This is the public comment period on proposed funding requests.
- With the research you did on the funding of your selected Board/Commission - present in person testimony on why it should be opposed/decreased at the "Interested Party" hearings.
- Forward the research you conducted with the case on why funding should be opposed and/or decreased and the date of the "Interested Party" hearing on your selected Board/Commission to email@example.com RE: OH Budget.
- We will in turn send the info & Interested Party Hearing date out in mass across the state so groups and individuals can use your research to submit in-person & written testimony to oppose/decrease funding for your selected Board/Commission.
Some Sub Committee hearings are already being conducted so time is of the essence. To sign up, please click the following link - http://goo.gl/forms/tHxvn4S0Kv.
If you choose to participate in this initiative or if you have any questions, please feel free to contact Marianne Gasiecki (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ralph King (email@example.com).
Ralph & Marianne
Tea Party Patriots