Tea Party Patriots Ordinary citizens reclaiming America's founding principles.

Monday, July 6, 2020

The Cleveland Indians cave to the mob

scorecard from yesteryear


Say goodbye to the Cleveland Indians and Chief Wahoo.  Claire Russel at Liberty Headlines reports:

MLB’s Cleveland Indians to Change Team Name, Mascot

The Cleveland Indians baseball team said on Sunday that the team will change its name, citing concerns over racial division and tension.

“I know in the past, when I’ve been asked about, whether it’s our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we’re never trying to be disrespectful,” said the team’s manager, Terry Francona, according to CNN.

“And I still feel that way,” he continued. “But I don’t think that’s a good enough answer today. I think it’s time to move forward. It’s a very difficult subject. It’s also delicate.”

The baseball team announced last week that it was considering changing its name, since its “among the most visible ways in which we connect with the community.” 

The team had previously removed its “Chief Wahoo” logo, a caricature of a Native American that activists argued was racist.

The team name, however, was in part a tribute to the success of Louis Sockalexis, a former Native American star in Cleveland, according to Cleveland Magazine

Despite this, the team admitted that its name does not “advance social justice and equality.”

Suggestions from our household include the Cleveland Worms or the Cleveland Cave-Dwellers.
# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Commenting