December 14, 2010
Contact: Ralph King
TEA PARTY PETITION SLAMS
TAX COMPROMISE AS 'BACKROOM DEAL'
Americans Demand Promised
Americans Demand Promised
Transparency, Adherence to 'Pledge to America'
Cleveland - Today, the Tea Party Patriots launched a petition (http://notaxcompromise.com/) to supporters across the country denouncing the tax cut compromise forged in secret by the Obama Administration and Republican Leadership in Congress. The plan was negotiated without the consultation of newly-elected Members of Congress or the American people and violates several components of the Republican's "Pledge to America."
"Our members are outraged as our representatives continue to ignore the message we sent on Election Day," said Ralph King of Cleveland Tea Party Patriots. "We are watching how they vote, and they will be held accountable."
"This 'backroom deal' ignores those who voted for principled leadership on Election Day," said Mark Meckler, National Coordinator of Tea Party Patriots. "Americans demand transparency in the legislative process and policies that reflect fiscal responsibility-not secret negotiations and weak compromise."
"Republicans in Congress only have the leverage to negotiate for tax deals because of the support Americans gave them and principled candidates across the country," said Jenny Beth Martin, National Coordinator of Tea Party Patriots. "It is an insult to those who voted them into power to procrastinate on their pledge to honor conservative principles."
Following are excerpts of the petition:
- Do not let Congress compromise with President Obama. "The Compromise" is against everything the House Republican Leadership agreed to in the "Pledge to America." This type of behind closed door politics is not what "We the People" voted for in November.
- "The Deal" was forged in secret, without consultation with the scores of new representatives and senators who campaigned on a much different agenda.
- "The Deal" like Obamacare, isn't reduced to writing even now. Like Obamacare, we are being told we will have to pass the bill to find out what is in it.
- "The Deal" revives the death tax, an immoral "vampire tax" that sucks the blood from the dead, ruins family businesses and double taxes savings that were accumulated over a lifetime.
- "The Deal" spends billions and billions of dollars that the country does not have in order to prevent a tax hike that the country voted against...the GOP bribed the president to follow the will of the people.
- There are at least five provisions of the Pledge that are violated by "The Deal."
Tea Party Patriots is a national grassroots coalition with more than 3,000 locally organized chapters and more than 15 million supporters nationwide. Tea Party Patriots is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to promoting the principles of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free
markets. Visit Tea Party Patriots online at www.TeaPartyPatriots.org.