Speaker Boehner is considering which Balanced Budget Amendment (BBA) to bring to the floor for a vote. There are two versions. Read about them below.
The “Clean” Version
- Does not cap spending as a percentage of GDP
- Does not require a super majority to raise taxes
- Will undoubtedly lead to tax increases & bigger & bigger government
- Cap spending as a percentage of GDP
- Some require a super majority to raise taxes, some do not
- Due to the cap, will prioritize cutting spending before ever raising taxes
More details about the variations of the BBA are below this call to action.
The bottom line is this: The clean version will get more votes, making it more “bipartisan.” The strong version will get fewer votes because it takes a more principled, fiscally responsible stand, but we are talking about amending our Constitution! We should never amend our Constitution out of expediency!
There has been some serious concern expressed about amending our Constitution in our discussions of a BBA, but you have overwhelmingly said that that if there is a vote on a BBA, you want Congress to vote for something that is meaningful and is not just a tactical move leading into an election year to get votes.
Congressman Paul Ryan told some of our National Support Team yesterday that he is committed to a strong version; he is on record as only supporting a strong Balanced Budget Amendment. The top 3 in GOP Leadership are not so committed to a strong version.
With all this in mind, here is what you need to do today:
- If you can only make one call, call Congressman Paul Ryan and thank him for his commitment to principle on the seriousness of amending the Constitution and sticking to a "strong" Balanced Budget Amendment. We must support people who stand strong!
Paul Ryan: (202) 225-3031
- Call Speaker Boehner, Congressmen Cantor and McCarthy and tell them that if they are bringing a BBA to the floor for a vote, it needs to be the “strong” version with spending caps.
Speaker Boehner: (202) 225-6205
Eric Cantor: (202) 225-2815
Kevin McCarthy: (202) 225-2915